Position: Men's Behavior Change Facilitator
Team: Family Safety
Employment type: Casual
Report to: Team Leader, Family Safetly
Effective dates: March 2020
Overview of Program
The Family Safety Program is a client-centred, trauma informed service designed to provide
counselling and support to families experiencing relationship difficulties. The team provides
specialist family violence services to men, women and children who have, or are currently
experiencing family violence. In addition to providing accountability, behaviour change services for
perpetrators are provided, including individual and group work.
To conduct professional intake and assessment, facilitate Men’s Behaviour Change groups at either Sandringham or Frankston sites, including after hours group facilitation from time to time and provide individual counselling / case coordination services for men.
To provide services to men to improve and strengthen relationships.
To deliver perpetrator intentions that meet quality standards and comply with relevant legislation.
The key responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- To provide MBC intake and assessment to men who have used family violence and are self-referred, court referred or referred via a number of other pathways.
- To deliver Men’s Behaviour Change Programs in a group setting or via individual sessions to men who have used violence towards their family members.
- Ensure that the needs and safety of the families take priority at all times.
- Deliver a high level of commitment to providing excellence in group work and individual work with men.
- Liaise with Family Safety Team Leader, Practice Leader, and relevant program staff when necessary and promote appropriate practice at all times when working with men.
- To ensure services are delivered to quality standards, comply with relevant legislation and achieve contractual requirements.
- Maintain professional documentation and administrative systems according to agency and legislative requirements, including planning and documentation of group and education programs.
- Commitment to research and evaluation and application of evidence based practice.
- Compliance with the organisation’s Program Planning and Evaluation Framework.
Key Selection Criteria
- Tertiary qualifications (minimum Bachelor Degree), in Social Work, Counselling or Psychology with specialisation in Male Family Violence.
- Demonstrated experience with separation, Family Law, mental health, sexual abuse, alcohol and other drugs and family violence issues.
- Experience in facilitating the Men’s Behaviour Change Programs and providing Partner Contact.
- Demonstrated clinical experience working with multidisciplinary teams to provide a high level of performance and innovation preferably relating to Family Relationship/Family Support areas.
- Demonstrated ability in undertaking assessments and working effectively with parents individually and in small groups who have experienced high levels of conflict.
- Experience in working with and understanding of developmental and therapeutic needs of children who have experienced trauma, abuse and neglect.
- Ability to respond to challenging behaviours and an understanding of the origins of these behaviours when working with children including trauma and attachment.
- Family Life is a youth and child safe organisation. We value, respect, and listen to children and young people.
- All offers of employment are subject to a satisfactory Working with Children Check and Police Records Check.
- Family life operates across multiple sites therefore it is essential that all employees hold a current Driver’s License.
- Family Life offers generous Salary packaging benefits.
- All offers of employment at Family Life are subject to a six month probationary period.
- Family Life is committed to providing a safe, healthy and friendly working environment.
- We pride ourselves on being flexible and family-friendly wherever possible for the mutual benefit of employees and the organisation.
- We expect all Family Life employees and volunteers to understand and behave in accordance with our principles, purpose, values and code of conduct.