Role: Senior Building Inspectors – Building Compliance Audits - Aboriginal Targeted
Duration: Ongoing (permanent) opportunities
Starting salary: $113,343 p/a plus 10% Superannuation and leave loading
Location: Based in Parramatta
Process: A Talent Pool will be created to fill immediately available positions, as well as upcoming opportunities arising over the next 18 months
Are you an experienced building professional or practitioner who wants to improve the quality and standards of building work in NSW?
Do you want to be part of a new team that implements a critical part of the NSW Government’s ‘Construct NSW’ building reform program?
If you answered yes, then this is the opportunity you are looking for - don’t delay, submit your application today to start your journey to becoming a Senior Building Inspector.
This stream of the Building inspector Talent Pool is targeted to Aboriginal candidates. Aboriginality is a genuine occupational qualification and is authorised by S14 (d) of the Anti-Discrimination Act 1977.
To be eligible for this stream of the Talent Pool you will demonstrate:
* Evidence of Australian Aboriginality
* Demonstrated experience working with Aboriginal people communities with the ability to communicate across cultures
Aboriginal as defined by the Aboriginal Lands Rights Act 1983 (NSW) is a person who:
* Identifies as a person of Australian Aboriginal decent presents documentation identifying their family’s Aboriginal descent
* Is accepted by their local Aboriginal community as a person of Aboriginal decent.
The Department of Customer Service is committed to our Aboriginal Employment Strategy. A copy can be viewed here.
Candidates who are not Aboriginal are encouraged to apply through the non-targeted stream here and submit an expression of interest.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Flexibility
The Department of Customer Service and SafeWork NSW are committed to diversity, inclusion and new ways of working.
The Department of Customer Service serves all the people of NSW and we want to reflect that diversity in our people. We understand that there are different ways of getting the job done and offer flexible working arrangements where and when possible.
About the Talent Pool and what this means for you
We are looking for expressions of interest from Aboriginal candidates from across the state with diverse experience, backgrounds and qualifications within the Health and Safety industry to take your first step in becoming an Inspector and help us to continue the important work we do.
If you are successful through this process, you will gain a place on the Building Inspector NSW Talent Pool, with the opportunity to help us continue educating and guiding NSW workplaces and building relationships with the NSW workforce and their communities.
Upcoming Building Inspector vacancies will be filled for current and future vacancies through the Talent Pool process. Obtaining a place on the Talent Pool opens the door to opportunities across the cluster for the following 18 months without requiring further formal assessment.
This is an exciting opportunity to join a team of experienced and driven building and design practitioners where you can apply your technical expertise and knowledge in a compliance and regulatory environment.
These roles offer a unique opportunity to be part of a team that conducts audits of selected development sites to identify serious defects and deter non-compliance within the NSW residential building industry. By carrying out this important regulatory function, the team contributes to improving building standards for the benefit of the people of NSW.
Working in a team of multi-disciplinary building practitioners, you will apply your experience and in-depth knowledge of the Building Code of Australia and other relevant standards to conduct comprehensive compliance-based audits of Class 2 residential apartment building sites.
Your key responsibilities as a Senior Building Inspector - Building Compliance Audits will include:
* Reviewing project documentation and conducting site audits and inspections
* Drafting audit reports and other documentation including briefings and Regulatory Orders
* Making recommendations regarding any regulatory action that may be required to achieve compliance
* Collaborating with your colleagues across the team and the Department and assisting in bringing awareness and education to the industry
* Effectively using technology, analysing data and understanding risk
If you are appointed from the Talent Pool into a Senior Building Inspector role, you’ll have the following benefits:
* Starting salary of $113,343 p/a plus 10% Superannuation and leave loading.
* Ongoing opportunities with career progression
* 35 hour working week with flexible workplace practices
* To succeed as a Senior Building Inspector – Building Compliance Audits, you will:
* Have qualifications in a building/construction related discipline such as construction, trade services, building surveying, architecture, engineering or planning
* Hold a Certificate IV in Government (Investigations) or preparedness to undertake an employee sponsored program
* Have highly developed communication skills, including the ability to write and produce reports in a timely manner
* Ability and willingness to travel across NSW as required
* Act with the highest degree of integrity and professionalism
* Be technically competent and detail focused
* Be committed to safety and enjoy working in a dynamic and results driven environment
Experience in one, or more, of the following fields will be beneficial:
* Building Surveying/Certification
* Fire services and waterproofing
* Structural/civil/mechanical engineering
* Builder/Trade background
* Design Officers (Senior level)
* Technical dispute resolution
* Site Supervision
* Design Coordination
* Clerk of works
To be appointed into a Senior Building Inspector role, you will be required to successfully clear and maintain:
Pre-employment checks including a criminal record check, employment reference checks and Australian Working Rights check
Satisfactory driving record
Medical capacity screening regarding physical and psychological impacts of the inherent duties of the role
Please note: Current NSW Health Orders require staff who attend construction sites to be Covid Vaccinated and to undertake regular testing.
What we need from you
To start your journey toward becoming a Building Inspector, don’t delay, click Apply Now below and upload:
Up to date CV (up to 5 pages)
Cover Letter outlining your relevant expertise and skills aligning to the role (up to 2 pages)
Please note - Evidence of Aboriginality will be required before the assessment phase to proceed via this stream.
Click Here to access the Role Description.
Closing Date: Applications close at 9:59am on Monday 18th October 2021
Looking for more information?
For more information about this role please contact Stewart Scarlett, Manager Audits, on 0435 659 723 and reference Senior Building Inspectors – Building Compliance Audits
For questions relating to the recruitment process, contact Tayla Gibbs, Assistant Talent Acquisition Advisor via: Tayla.Gibbs@customerservice.nsw.gov.au
Find out more about the NSW Building Commissioner click here and the Construct NSW strategy here.
Click here to view the Design and Building Practitioners Act 2020.
Click here to view the Residential Apartment Buildings (Compliance and Enforcement Powers) Act 2020.
Working at Department of Customer Service
The Department of Customer Service, including NSW Fair Trading, are committed to diversity, inclusion and new ways of working.
The Department of Customer Service serves all the people of NSW and we want to reflect that diversity in our people. We welcome and encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, people with disability, culturally and linguistically diverse groups, the LGBTIQ+ community, veterans, carers, refugees, people in regional NSW and people of all ages. We strive to be an inclusive workplace where all our people can bring their authentic selves to work without judgement.
We understand that there are different ways of getting the job done and offer flexible working arrangements where and when possible.
If you do require an adjustment during the recruitment process, please notify us on your application form.