Karbon is the premium work management platform for the accounting industry and has become indispensable for firms around the world to support their team and navigate the sudden shift to remote work. Karbon brings planning, clients, work, and communication together in one place where it belongs, so even if the firm has to work remotely, they're all together online.
Founded in San Francisco, we have grown into a globally distributed team with people in the Bay Area, Seattle, San Diego, Reno, Sydney, Canberra, Melbourne, New Zealand and the United Kingdom. We are well-funded, have a fantastic team culture, are growing rapidly, and making a global impact. Learn more about us at karbonhq.com.
Karbon is looking for an experienced product marketer to join the Karbon team and play a significant role in driving our next phase of growth. You will develop go-to-market strategies, lead the launches of new product features, and build the narrative of Karbon's product and features across the entire lifecycle.
The next chapter of Karbon will include more and bigger launches along with sticker feature adoption. As our first dedicated product marketer, you'll be working with a product that accountants around the world already love, and your job will be to get more of them to love it even more — this means finding new angles and creative distribution for product launches, telling the stories of our features and solutions in clever ways that generate buzz, and researching our customers and our market to help get more accounting firms using Karbon.
You won't have to start from scratch, but there is lots of opportunity to make this role your own and grow it in a way that makes sense for Karbon, our customers, and yourself.
About this role
Reporting to the VP of Marketing, this role is highly cross-functional and will work closely with the Product Management, Sales, Customer Success, and the broader Marketing teams.
Some of your main responsibilities will include:
- Partnering with the Marketing team to find creative ways to make a splash with product launches and updates
- Defining, communicating, and evangelizing value propositions that communicate the value of Karbon to our market segments of varying sizes, regions, and needs
- Playing a leading role in the development of product messaging architecture and ensuring it is communicated effectively across the marketing site
- Partnering with a Product team that ships quickly and regularly to drive go-to-market activity for new product and feature releases
- Supporting the Sales team with market expertise, competitive positioning, buyer personas, and ongoing training on how to communicate the value of Karbon to our target audience
- Partnering with the Customer Success team to drive successful customer adoption and marketing campaigns
- Conducting competitive, market, and buyer research to ensure positioning and collateral reflects our strengths
- Creating concise and compelling collateral for new and existing Karbon offerings including slide decks, overviews, buyer guides, videos, internal reference guides, training materials, competitor comparisons, and more
- Creating and coordinating product marketing content including case studies, customer stories, and solution articles to educate our market and accelerate the journey for prospects down the marketing funnel
- Developing and refining buyer personas supported by internal and external research
- Maintaining intelligence on competition and industry, staying on top of the latest happenings in the accounting space and providing insights cross-functionally
- Hiring and managing talent to support you in your role as needed (this can be internal or freelance talent)
Ideally, you are located and able to work in San Diego, CA; Reno, NV; Sydney, NSW, Australia; or Melbourne, VIC, Australia — for the right person, location doesn't matter as long as you're prepared to work remotely.
You're the right person for this role if you have:
- At least 7 years of professional experience in marketing, product marketing, or product roles (SaaS preferred)
- Knowledge of the accounting industry and/or accounting technology ecosystem (or a willingness to get to know this industry inside and out if not)
- A knack for finding interesting ways to take a new feature to market to give it the recognition it deserves, and the skills to make announcements feel BIG!
- Ability to look at data, numbers, customer research, and qualitative data to understand what is happening and what people need
- Content and copy skills — you're great with words, you can get a point across in a succinct and concise manner, you can channel the voice of the customer and adapt to write for different audiences, and are confident tackling resources, assets, webinars, demos, briefs, and other types of info for both the internal team and our customers
- You love working with technology — we use an unusually large number of apps and tools to get our work done
Why work at Karbon?
- Standard 5 week vacation (annual leave for our aussie mates) for all employees globally
- 2 Karbon Calm Days - to take some time out to chill whenever they are needed
- Opportunity to be part of building a global product
- Competitive salary
- True ownership and autonomy over the work you do
- Work with (and learn from) a very experienced team
- Be part of a startup team that will continue to grow around you
- Flexible approach to work environment (we believe in trust and autonomy)
- A culture of open communication, consistent feedback, and full transparency into company results, metrics, and financial position